Did you know?
According to the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) from the year 2010 - 2015, a total of 2,244 deaths occurred from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning. And "each year approximately 50,000 people in the U.S. visit the emergency department due to accidental carbon monoxide poisoning." With the highest numbers of deaths each year occurring in winter months. Why winter? Because that's when people tend to use heaters and gas more often to keep warm.
50,000 people each year? You may be asking how do that many people unintentionally fall victim to this Silent Killer every year? Can't they protect themselves? Well it's tough to fight against something you can't see, hear or smell. That is why Carbon Monoxide poisioning has been given the nickname, "Silent Killer". What's worse is that the early symptons are similar to an ordinary flu. Common early symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include:
- mild headache,
- and more.
Where does carbon monoxide come from?
Carbon Monoxide is produced whenever any fuel such as natural gas, propane, gasoline, oil, kerosene, wood or charcoal is burned. Devices that produce carbon monoxide include cars, boats, gasoline engines, stoves and heating systems. Carbon monoxide from these sources can build up in enclosed or semi-enclosed spaces.
Taken from a resourceful WIRED article, "[There was] an elderly couple from Washington state [which] were killed by carbon monoxide in [a hotel room overnight due to a gas leak]...Because there were no carbon monoxide detectors in the hotel room, there was no alarm, no protective flash of light, or sound to alert the sleeping guests." They didn't know that they were being poisoned. They simply went to sleep and didn't wake up the next day. Do you have an alarm that will notify you or your family of a potential carbon monoxide gas leak?